No better time than to start a season preview. There are a few weeks until regional sites and assignments are handed out. Before that time and those previews are compiled, I want to notice and give celebration to the top 50 returners.
The rank of these top returners is based on a few factors. Most importantly, the ratings from the 2019 season. From then, projected improvement, based on age, speed, and past history. Unfortunately, track has played a minor role, but for some, we saw some early progress.
These are more of a celebration than a hierarchy. For the upperclassmen, their mention is a testament to their drive, work ethic, and list of accomplishments. The little freshmen, a show of their great potential. There’s not an athlete on here that doesn’t put in the work needed to be a leader and accomplished runner.
49. Audrianna Enns, Hart
- Top 10 finisher at MIS the past two years
- Finished her 2019 season with three of her best races, PR at Regionals, then best finish yet at State
- Hart is likely the favorite in Division 3, consistently rising performers like Audrianna are a main reason
- Improvement continuing this spring, having gone 5:18 in a Virtual 1600m
49. Jacob Harberts, Macomb Dakota
- Steady drops during his first three years at Dakota, at least 1:30+ over that time
- That improvement most exemplified by his regional performances, from 66th as a freshman, to 43rd as a sophomore, to 9th in a blazing fast race
- That dedication also present this indoor season, with a consistent string of 4:40-4:45 performances
- Dakota has a real chance of pushing Romeo in the county this year, Harberts’ racing will be a major factor