No better time than to start a season preview. There are a few weeks until regional sites and assignments are handed out. Before that time and those previews are compiled, I want to notice and give celebration to the top 50 returners.
The rank of these top returners is based on a few factors. Most importantly, the ratings from the 2019 season. From then, projected improvement, based on age, speed, and past history. Unfortunately, track has played a minor role, but for some, we saw some early progress.
These are more of a celebration than a hierarchy. For the upperclassmen, their mention is a testament to their drive, work ethic, and list of accomplishments. The little freshmen, a show of their great potential. There’s not an athlete on here that doesn’t put in the work needed to be a leader and accomplished runner.
50. Braxton Lamey, Ithaca
- Leader of an Ithaca team looking to return to the State Finals
- Sports a PR of 15:24 on the roads and this spring, went 4:26 in a time trial
- Winner of three TVC West Jamborees, along with Spartan and Marauder
- First appearance on the podium last year, finishing 7th (but only 5th! in a stacked regional)
50. Joy Wolfe, Otsego
- One of many Otsego runners to come on strong at the end of the year, knocking out a 30+ second PR at MIS
- Showed great improvement from 2018 to 2019, dropping nearly a minute from her previous best
- 11:45 3200 in the 2019 track season was an early predictor of that success
- Earned medals at notable invites, such as Cougar Falcon and Otsego Bulldog
- All-State last year, finishing 18th, outperforming the projections here by 30+ spots